This website is a project of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. This site is organized to help you find what you are looking for, whether you are a teen, middle or high school teacher, or parent. The purpose of this site is to facilitate learning about the effects of drug use on the brain, body, and lives of teens.
Written specifically for a teen audience. Features include:
- Drug Facts – scientific facts about drugs, including how they are used and by how many teens, how they affect the brain and body, and how many people die as a result of use. I
- Drugs & Health Blog – posts bring a scientific perspective to news reports about drugs and focus on how drug use can impact the everyday lives and health of teens. From the risks of second-hand marijuana smoke to the role of social media in decision making, posts connect teens with the latest drug use research and news.
- Videos and Games – from videos that let you decide what the characters do next, to animations on why drugs are so hard to quit, to in-depth graphics on the human brain, NIDA videos have you covered.
Added in 2016, the Lesson Plan and Activity Finder curates more than 70 science-based lessons and multimedia classroom activities into one place. Find lessons based on drug topic or type and see at-a glance descriptions that provide information on national standards, length of lesson plan, and appropriate grade levels with links for viewing, downloading and ordering free classroom materials.
Other features include:
- Infographics – graphical representations of science-based information and data.
- National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week® – a national health observance for teens.
- Ordering free materials – science-based free materials for use with students in the classroom and after school.
Links to resources for parents or caregivers of teens.
- Drugs and Your Kids – links to information about how to talk with a teen about drugs and what to do if drug use is suspected.
- Scientific Facts about Drugs – links to in-depth information to help parents brush up on the facts about different drugs of abuse.
- Drug Abuse Treatment – information about what to do if a teen has a problem with drugs.