Our carefully-designed admission process helps us identify students who will benefit most from Sand Hill’s specialized and personalized program.
New students are accepted based on completion of the steps outlined below and whether there is an available class placement that we determine would address the child’s learning needs. We admit students throughout the school year, if space is available.
We are currently accepting applications.
Please allow adequate time to complete the entire admissions process. We make every effort to have an admissions decision in a timely manner. Also note that the admissions process is separate from the financial aid process. Find out more about financial aid.
Part 1: Getting Started
If you have any questions about whether Sand Hill School is the right fit for your child, please contact Admissions Coordinator, Julia Rodriguez at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 650.688.3605. Julia will be happy to help you. Please include the age, desired grade and diagnosis of your child so we can better assist you.
Schedule a required Parent Visit to Sand Hill School.
The Parent Visit lasts about 60 minutes and includes time to observe the classroom and time to chat with a Sand Hill School staff person to ask questions and find out more about the Sand Hill School program.
Part 2: Application
Register online and complete the online application with a $150 application fee.
Part 3: Getting to Know Your Child
Print the Teacher Recommendation, and give the form to your child’s current teacher to complete.
Once we receive notice that your application is complete, we will contact you to:
- Request copies of any tests/evaluations you may have for your child from the past two years. If you do not have cognitive scores from the last two years, we can arrange for a full WISC (cognitive) evaluation to be conducted here at The Center at Children’s Health Council at a reduced cost to you.
- Provide three different rating scales for you to complete for your child (BRIEF (Executive Function), BERS (strengths’ based inventory), CBCL (Behavior)). When completed, please return all three assessments to our Admissions Coordinator for scoring.
- Provide release forms for you to complete and sign that give us permission to speak with any teachers and/or specialists who work with your child.
- Schedule a classroom shadow experience for your child with our Admissions Coordinator. This is an opportunity for the child to spend the day (or part of a day) in the appropriate classroom so that we can assess how the child responds in the Sand Hill School environment.
- During the shadow experience, we will also conduct a child interview during which we will spend about 30 minutes one-on-one with your child. This child interview gives us the opportunity to engage your child in some activities and his response.
Part 4: Getting to Know the Parents
After the shadow experience, the Admissions Coordinator will contact you to schedule a parent interview (both parents should make it a priority to attend this meeting). During the parent interview, we will provide you with feedback on the admissions process (including the shadow experience and child interview) and answer any questions you may have about Sand Hill School.
Part 5: Admission Decision
Within one week of the parent interview, we will notify you of the admission decision.